Friday, April 29, 2011

Coop & Run Update

I ordered 2 books a couple weeks ago, Building Chicken Coops for dummies and Chicken Coops: 45 Building Plans for Housing Your Flock. Chicken Coops:45 is NOT at all what I thought it would be. Sure, there are 45 "plans" for coops but none of them suit my needs and the plans weren't that great either... Building Chicken Coops for Dummies on the other hand is awesome! it only provides 5 plans HOWEVER, those 5 plans are for back yard chicken coops! Not only that, the plans are complete, they give a breakdown of HOW to build the coop, a list of materials is also provided. I HIGHLY recommend the For Dummies books!

We also measured out the cement pad, it's 24'X24' square. So no what we are debating HOW we want to fence the Pad. Do we want to fence the entire thing or just a portion of it.

The coop I was looking at is a walk in coop that can accomodate up to 30 chickens. It would allow me to walk in, easily clean the coop, it would also be easy-ish to insulate, I could have a storage area. I could also have a little entrance way with double doors. This would  allow me to enter the coop without worry of chickens escaping. On these plans the there's an entrance door but there's also a small chicken door. I think I am going to make a large door and then incorporate the chicken door into it.

For now, that's it. I can't wait to start working on the coop! Still no idea where I am going to get my chickens...

No comments:

Post a Comment